Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Changing Lives for a Living


Anuradha Sawhney loves her job. A former employee of a top leather buying house, Sawhney is now a formidable campaigner against leather products. “Like many people, I never gave a second thought to the fact that my shoes used to moo,” she says, denouncing the leather-manufacturing process as “abhorrent”.

In her role as PETA India’s chief functionary, she’s seen the international non-profit group through many milestones including PETA’s entry into the Limca Book of Records as the country’s largest animal rights organization.

She reveals that a career in an NGO is far from being a hobby as popularly perceived and that though they officially have five-day weeks, employees are always on call for emergencies routed to them in the absence of other help. “I even make stops on the highways and check my email through wi-fi,” says Sawhney, adding that she doesn’t think of it as a job. “You lose track of time, because it’s not work”.

Her colleagues include accountants, lawyers, MBAs and computer professionals whom she describes as “articulate and rational, and the extra thing everyone has is compassion”. Speaking about the difference between a regular job and one in the social sector, she says: “I know that no one in my office is hurting an animal. We don’t have chairs made of leather. Only vegan food is consumed here. And we all have one common goal.”

Our interview is interrupted by a cheerful bark. She puts me on hold to ask someone - “Why’s Rex jumping about like that? Is he ok?” Rex, who was rescued by PETA (from people who kept him habitually chained), is a regular at her office, alongside other companion animals who can come to work provided they get along with him.

Like her colleagues, Sawhney is always looking towards the next goal, the next cruelty issue to address. “I might get into politics to speak out for animals. And I’m planning a book on animal welfare in India,” she says, quoting from Robert Frost’s poem - “What’s that line again? Miles to go before I sleep”.

She walks the talk, and mentions that she hasn’t switched off her phone in nine years. Has it all been worthwhile? Her answer comes without hesitation. “I can’t believe I ever did anything else with my life”.

No comments:

Post a Comment